Helping you help 147 million...

147 Million Orphans

Followers

147 Million Orphans Blog

how many hits?

Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 1

I did not sleep a wink last night!!! It was miserable. The fan squeaked all night and I think that I slept a little too much on the plane. I am hoping tonight will be much better. We woke up and ate a yummy breakfast overlooking the most beautiful tropical flowers. We were expecting our driver to arrive at 9:30, but his van overheated so he didn't make it until 11:30. We were bummed that we missed Katie's praise and worship day but made the best of it. It took us FOUR hours to make what is normally a 2 hour drive from Kampala. There was a BIG futbol game at the coliseum. These people were jacked!! They were blowing horns, flying Ugandan flags, screaming, it was Tennessee Titan football X 10!! It was really neat to see such a poverty stricken place join together and celebrate their culture/team. I smiled the whole way through the Kampala watching these people have so much fun.

We went to Katie's to eat dinner. It was SO good to see her. I have missed her sweet face so much! I got to meet the woman and her three children who are living with her. I introduced myself to the first one standing in a little pink dress. It was tattered and torn and filthy. After talking with her she lifted her dress to show me that "she" was actually a "he!" the second one was a little older and I asked her name and she said "girl", I replied "oh I know you are a girl and that is your little brother, what is your name sweetheart?" She said "girl," I was so perplexed. Katie let me stay confused for a moment and then through her laughter said "that is her name...GIRL" ( i couldnt help but think, this is going to be a long week!) My thoughts went back to Katie leaving those children in their clothes that they came to her house wearing. My first thought was "give this boy some overalls!" She has so much wisdom in knowing that one day they will return to their village and she doesnt want to give them all of these things just to return to nothing. So much wisdom she has...

After dinner we laughed and laughed and laughed until we all had headaches and decided to shower and go to bed. We have a fun day planned tomorrow...stay tuned!





2 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Praying for you all, and John Jigo...that his reunion will be so sweet! What an incredible story!
Love that you all are with Katie...I'm sure it's almost surreal!
Blessings to you all!
laine

Love said...

oh, that made me laugh so hard. i know at it's deepest root, it is not funny--but that pink dress on him just threw me right back into being there.

you're SO CLOSE to our boys. i hope you get time to go there [not just for us, but for all the kids there! love them.] but, if you don't, at least blow them kisses from me. =)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

About Me

My Photo
suzanne
I am a lover of Jesus. I have the most fabulous husband that anyone woman could ask for. The Lord has blessed us with 7 beautiful children. I started this blog so that friends and family could follow our trip to Uganda to visit Katie Davis. I have decided to keep blogging to help bring orphan awareness to the world around me.
View my complete profile