Helping you help 147 million...

147 Million Orphans

Followers

147 Million Orphans Blog

how many hits?

Powered by Blogger.
Monday, November 8, 2010

God of miracles








During this season of thankfulness...I am thankful that God is a God of miracles. He makes himself known to me each and every day.

I've been reading in Genesis. In the past I have always read the bible and thought "well, that was in bible times." I mean, the stories seem ABSOLUTELY crazy to me. For instance, God spoke to Abraham when he was over 100 years old and told him that he was going to have a son. WHO DOES THAT!?!?!? As I continued to read it says that Sarah heard it from the tent door and started laughing and thought "YEA RIGHT! this old body? there is NO WAY that THIS OLD BODY can have a baby!" and God called her out.....questioned her about why she would laugh at was He said was going to happen...did she not believe that HE was capable of that? She lied and said that she didn't laugh because she was scared. and He called her out AGAIN.."yes you did! you laughed!"

That is me. I am a modern day Sarah. It's not that I do not believe that HE is capable of making things happen. But for him to use ME is comical. I continued to read Genesis chapters 17-22 and in chapter 19, God was going to spare Lot's life from the burning of Sodom and Gomorah. He told Lot to take his wife and daughters and run for the mountains so that their lives would be spared. Lot fled with his family. His wife wasn't so SURE she believed so she turned back towards the town and was turned into salt....dead. WHY DID SHE QUESTION? Why did she turn back and just WONDER if what God has promised was TRUTH?

That is me. What if every time I questioned what I THINK that God might be saying...death was the alternative? There would probably be more people living "radically" around here huh? You either believe this "crazy' life that you are called to live or you die....hhhhmmmm.

I was able to see my sweet friend Sarah (and her sister Katie) this weekend at our adoption conference. Sarah was with Mike and I when we were in Uganda and found out that Josie was positive. Seeing her took me back to the day that Josie lay limp in Mike's arms, with a HIGH fever. Not a word was spoken in the car on the road back to Jinja. Only tears and sniffles. My head lay on Mike's shoulder as we both wept on behalf of this sweet little angel that so innocently had contracted a virus that could take her life at any moment. To leave Josie Love in Uganda meant death. (maybe not for the next few years, but as children "age out" of the orphanage they basically are on their own.) They only have certain ARV's (meds for HIV) in Africa and not all that most HIV/AIDS people need to survive. what if I had turned back like Lot's wife in this situation? what if?

We have ONE chance at this life. ONE.

ONE.

Are you going to stay in your comfortable little place and make sure that you and every one else around you is happy and comfortable? We have the rest of our lives to be comfortable...in heaven...FOR ETERNITY. I wanna go outta her all wrinkled, tired, and ragged...LOOKIN like I have lived life to the fullest. At this ONE chance...a very SHORT chance (called life on earth)....DO SOMETHING SIGNIFICANT to bring God and God alone glory.




20 comments:

We Are Family said...

Great, Inspiring post!
I'm with you :) Willing to get "wrinkled" for God!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Love it!!!

Praying I am never comfortable!

Lindsey said...

Thank you SO much for writing this!! It's easy on a good day for me to feel like this, but the second that I start feeling stressed, I begin to doubt. And doubting, even though I say it's "ME" that isn't capable, I'm really telling Him that He's not. This put me right back on track, I needed that today!

Unknown said...

Oh, I'd so much rather have the wrinkles and have invested in God's work than to waste the resources He has loaned me on facelifts, etc. Wrinkles, here I come!!!

Kat said...

Your post touched my heart (as usual :)). I listening and seeing what direction God wants me to go. You've been an inspiration in listening beyond the ideals we've previously set. Thank you.

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Wow, what an aweso me post...the part that just jumped out at me and almost knocked me over what when you said that we have eternity to be comfortable. That is so very true...so now when I am tired and weary I will remember what you wrote.

Thank you for sharing your heart.

Unknown said...

Oh I LOVE this post! AMEN sister!!

Over-Caffeinated said...

I needed to read this today. I can't believe how gracious God was to call me to Hawaii instead of Africa. Surely I can stop whining and get to work for HIM! Thanks's for the little nudge.

Dardi said...

I am so with you on this. It totally blows my mind that He would use me, but then I realize it's an invitation to walk with Him. Why would I want to miss witnessing His hand. And He is the God of miracles!!! We just recently witnessed an amazing one in the life of a child & birth mother that came into our lives. Again, why would I want to miss these things?? Thanks for the inspiration to not live in fear but in anticipation of His work & the opportunity to be part of it! Blessings to you!!! :o)

Anonymous said...

After living in a very comfortable home and trying to grow a business, we lost our house and I almost lost my marriage. OH... the struggle. All of this was happening as I was growing with God. WHY? I didn't have a clue. After 3 moves in rentals, we now live in a 1,200 square foot box right next to "The Hood". The reason we are here is quite simple: God wanted us closer to these disadvantaged kids so that we could be a servant to them. My wife and I have 3 almost teenagers and we are "poorer" than we've ever been. Yet.... our life is RICH with stories about God's Grace. Your last paragraph is a great "Word" for all of us. I will help this ministry because I see what Katie is doing and I FEEL the greatness of My God.... Love and Peace in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

Anonymous said...

I admire your comment for wanting to go out looking worn out and wrinkled. However, it seems that God has blessed you with eternal good looks. Thank you for all that you do, and for writing it all out here on the blog. It's truly an inspiration and an agent for change for many.

woosterweester said...

I read those exact passages this morning. Hmm. Maybe God is trying to say something to me.:) Thanks for this!

Lauren said...

I totally needed this confirmation today. Thanks for speaking TRUTH!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for this post <3

Countdown to Congo said...

Love this post! Thank you.

Coneymama said...

Wow....I swear I felt you take my by the shoulders, shake me and shout,"This is for you sister" before I started to read it. I hope you don't mind...I'm snagging the last paragraph.

Anonymous said...

That last paragraph was truly inspired by the Lord - I needed to hear it so much! I'm surrounded by folks who are worn by bitterness and are serving themselves and I don't want to be like that! I want to wear myself out for Jesus, even if it's hard!

Sarah said...

Sister, I just read this...It brought tears to my eyes and such encouragement to my heart. Amen amen. So very blessed to get to live this part of my short journey with you!! Thanks for pointing me to truth and to our Jesus every day and for keeping me smiling and laughing and encouraged. love you so...sarah.

Amy said...

Where did Grace get her top? What beautiful kids, Suzanne. As if you don't hear that all the time! Caleb reminds me so much of Pray in that photo. Love you guys.

The Albritton's said...

Suzanne! The vessels that you and your family are blow me away! God is using you guys like crazy and it is SO inspiring! I know you get a bajillion questions a day, but I do have one! My husband and I live in Louisiana and are really feeling God calling us to adopt domestically. But are stuck looking for agencies. I was curious what agency you guys used?

Thanks!
Christina
christina.w.albritton@gmail.com
ccalbritton.blogspot.com

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

About Me

My Photo
suzanne
I am a lover of Jesus. I have the most fabulous husband that anyone woman could ask for. The Lord has blessed us with 7 beautiful children. I started this blog so that friends and family could follow our trip to Uganda to visit Katie Davis. I have decided to keep blogging to help bring orphan awareness to the world around me.
View my complete profile