Helping you help 147 million...

147 Million Orphans

Followers

147 Million Orphans Blog

how many hits?

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, July 4, 2010

David and Goliath





I am a COMPLETE noodle brain at this point. We have spent the week at Disney World, a National basketball tournament, and have just drove from Orlando and have arrived at our condo in Gulf shores for our annual beach trip with Mike's family. We had a wonderful week in Orlando and there are so many things that I would like to share. But, in this post, I want to talk about my son Michael. He received the HUSTLE AWARD in the tournament. His coach describes him as "the small man with the BIG heart". In most of the games, he was the smallest one on the court. As you can see in the pics above...these kids were DOUBLE his size and he was not the least bit intimidated. When Michael opened his new basketball shoes for the first time, he went straight to the drawer in my kitchen looking for a sharpie so that he could put scriptures on the toes of them. I was very quick to say " DUDE, those shoes are brand new, do you know how much they cost?!?!" He replied " I need bible verses on them, so that when I get discouraged on the court I can look down and be reminded that I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. Shut me up right quick....
I was reminded in Jesus Calling today: We will never be in control of your life circumstances, but you can relax and trust in my control. Instead of striving for a predictable, safe lifestyle, seek to know Me in a greater depth and breadth. I long to make your life a glorious adventure, but you must stop clinging to old ways. I am always doing something new within My beloved ones. Be on the lookout for all that I have prepared for you. I am learning that you do not have to look far....we can learn life lessons daily through our children. "Child like faith" is a precious, precious thing! When David went up against Goliath he didn't ponder or pause. He knew that he had Christ on his side, therefore, he would prevail. (speaking of Goliath, we played Shaq's sons team....this man is a BEAST in person)
Gwen and I met because our sons played ball together in the 1st grade. They go to different schools now, but have continued to play on this AAU team together. Last year we decided to to give them the name "team 147" so that through sports we could bring awareness to the orphan crisis. Our prayer has been for people to ask what 147 stands for. Five years ago, we would have NEVER dreamed that 147 Million Orphans would exist. Because of these two boys and their divine meeting, over 200,000 meals have been given to hungry children in Uganda. we are helping over 50 families fundraise for their adoptions, 14 women (that are making beads for 147) are able to feed and care for their children instead of prostituting themselves, and now awareness of the orphan crisis is being brought before thousands of people NATIONALLY because of their basketball team. Michael and Jeremiah have the sweetest friendship. I can't wait to watch them continue to mature and develop their gifts that the Lord has given them.

I am so proud of my sweet son! He is a fabulous big brother and TOTALLY embraces our life that the Lord has called us to. We have heard MULTIPLE times on this trip "boy, you've got your hands full" and as I smile (while frustrated that it is the 100th time) and say "yes, full of joy and love" I can glance at Michael and see the smile across his face.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

The last photo ROCKS! What an awesome modern day example of we truly can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens us!

Love you! Have a blessed week at the beach - try to relax! I know not easy as a mom of many!
Jill

Anonymous said...

WOW, what an incredible testimony of your son's relationship with the Lord!

May His name be magnified in all he does.

natali said...

that is sooo sweet! thank you for the encourgagement!!

Abbie and Kendall said...

soooo proud of him and the last pic almost made me cry ;)

LOOVEEEE YALL and hope you have an amazing time @ the beach :)
abs

We Are Family said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!

Connie said...

Praising the Lord for team 147, the joy He shines through you and your family and the team, for Divine appointments, and for this post which encouraged me in precisely the place I needed it.

Kelly said...

Congratulations to your family, son and all of the Team 147!! Thanks for sharing!

The Stums said...

Oh that last picture!! Nothing like mamas and their boys. Michael is clearly a very special young man.

Nanette R. said...

What a great boy you have! I love that he wanted to put scripture on his shoes and that he went up against those giants on the court! I know that your heart is full from the joy he (and his siblings) give you each day!

Mandi said...

This has to be one of my FAVORITE posts of ALL TIME! As my husband and I sat reading together, after taking in the size difference in the photos, we got to the part about Michael's "new shoes" and when I read his response to you, I began a big old ugly girl cry. The beauty of your child and his faith and his example, oh my heart. Let your little "David" know that even at his young age, his testimony and the way he chooses to live his life is making a difference, even to some old grown-ups from Momma's blog. Blessings to your family. We board a plane for Jinja on Monday night in ATL. Can't wait!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

About Me

My Photo
suzanne
I am a lover of Jesus. I have the most fabulous husband that anyone woman could ask for. The Lord has blessed us with 7 beautiful children. I started this blog so that friends and family could follow our trip to Uganda to visit Katie Davis. I have decided to keep blogging to help bring orphan awareness to the world around me.
View my complete profile